Simplicity is Stability

This year, I'm taking a class called AP Langage and Composition. According to my teacher, Mr. Norris, it's a "wildly-popular class in the world of AP." I can see why. Only two weeks into school it's obvious how helpful the ability to clearly dictate one's argument can be- especially when your life is one like mine.

Other than the improvement of writing skills, we're reading a lot of "classic"-type American novels, essays, articles, short stories, etc. Among these were a few chapter-long excerpts from Thoreau's Walden; the first is titled "Economy." For those of you who are not familiar with the guy's work, Walden is basically an account of Thoreau's 2-year experiment with solitude. He moved into a little cabin near the little lake named "Walden" and tried living out his bare-bones Transcendentalist lifestyle as best he could, stripping himself of all clutter which hinders us. The idea was that without unnecessary stuff- worries, responsibilities, schedules, money, goods, unnecessary food, etc.- he would be able to see what was truly important.

I am not a Transcendentalist. I find it fluffy and vague and kind of silly as a whole. But parts of a great number of philosophies have interesting concepts attached. Reading fluffy and vague and kind-of-silly ideas forces you to think about those ideas as if they should make sense. The product of this process is often a sort of personalized synthesis, which normally seems altogether more relevant to me. It is in this way that Thoreau, like Machiavelli, has made some superubermegatangents start brewing.

In one small part of one of those small excerpts from Walden, Thoreau discusses community and solitude, complaining about his personal irritation with the lack of cooperation between people, and what a pain it is to have to pursue some kind of harmony. Everything goes faster and smoother and more efficiently without company. When people cooperate, it's almost always "partial and superficial," and when it's not, it's "a harmony inaudible to men."

The ubermegatangent in me disagreed. Naturally, there's cooperation around us all the time, every day, and I doubt too many of us would dispute that: but what kinds of cooperation are they? If we do have harmony, are they in categories, like Thoreau's?

Within harmony, there are all the different kinds of love and courtesy. Romantic, familial, acquainted, formal, authoritative... the list goes on and on. But in this list is "friendship;" this where the tangent decided to camp out.

For the 10-or-what years I have been thinking about this, it has gradually become clearer and clearer that there are two very distinct, contrasting ways in which my peers and I pursue friendship. Two different worldview lenses, if you will. (If there are more than two, I notice these because they're prevalent.) It seems that each person has a natural tendency to one of them, but can drift between or shift from one side to the other, should they chose to do so.

The first is a nuclear view. A given example selects or is drawn into a very narrow, close friendship or small group of friends, where the members become each others' primary source of trust, community, association, and security among their peers. These people tend to feel a need to share everything of themselves with this nucleus, or an unwillingness to share personal stories or information outside of this group. Many people who hold this view are those who could readily identify their "best friend" or can count their "real friends" on one hand, regardless of their level of "peripheral" social activity. These "nuclei" can be very intimate, committed and provide a very personal guidance. It can help these people to grow closer together over a longer period of time, giving an opportunity to help each other in deeper ways than might be possible otherwise. (If you know what I'm talking about, think Reformed Theology: this view is like the P in TULIP.)

The second is what I might call the plum pudding view (just for kicks). Whether such a person is extroverted or more introverted, they have no boundaries to their list of friends; instead, different relationships are spread evenly across whatever number of acquaintances they have. There is little hierarchy in intimacy. They do not feel a need to make a "switch" from one friend to another if a friendship drifts apart or fails, because all their friends are equal sources of support in their lives. They may be just as exclusive, judgmental, prejudiced, etc, but they do not see intimacy as a thing to be admitted to or expelled from. (So this view like everyone else's view of preservation/apostasy, outside of Calvinism and the Baptists. Liking my analogies?)

I'll say now that since I was a little kid, I've gravitated towards the nuclear view. Sometimes I've had friends with the same view, and it suited us well, for the time being; other times, I haven't. Some of the greatest emotional devastation I have experienced, particularly a number of years ago, has been because I was unable to recognize this difference between myself and my friends, most of which didn't have the same "nuclear" view I did. Now, years later, I am slowly attempting to aim my drift towards the middle, between the "nuclear" and "plum pudding" perspectives. The closer I get, the lighter the pul, the less there is to worry about, and the simpler life becomes. Suave. It seems so much stabler that way.

Comments

  1. love the plum pudding title :o) its pretty darn tasty too (except for the raisins) ~Miss B

    ps. sorry this isn't actually a commentary on the content of your blog...too tired to be coherent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh.... how refreshing and consoling was this blog. Thank you for sharing. I have found myself overanalyzing and twisting in the wind and stomach for that matter, for lack of understanding of why people can't just naturally conform to my way of having relationships. I am significantly older than you, but I have not found that this problem gets simpler over time. In fact, it has made me want to avoid intimacy with new people altogether, leaning more in the direction of having a more efficient/stress free life. I too am of the nuclear type, having about 10 people that I can trust with the bloodiest of sins and fears. However, I find it very difficult to want to add on to that small circle, due to the fact that it is just too life disrupting and emotionally crippling for me to venture out, invest, and continually be faced with my friendship opposite. As a poetic and creative type, everything is emotionally intense for me, and I suppose it feels easier to me to be bitter and avoid the flippant and uncommitted type that makes everyone their best friend, than it is to learn how to include them in my life without hoping they will want to change. I hope you didn't mind my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understanding is the key to community. And, in my opinion, understanding others' views on things like interpersonal relationships can help us strengthen our own worldviews. The longer one lives content with a certain way of doing things, seeing things, approaching ideas, the harder it is to go about changing; we like to keep within our secure bubble-nuclei. And all for a fear in the unknown! More, this fear is catalyzed by the time we spend growing all the more "secure," hiding inside.

    A willingness to remain within this security, then, paradoxically leads into insecurity. As I've said, change is not quite as easy in the nuclear view; change is a threat, a malady to be avoided. Now perhaps it seems stable, but that's because the threat has been affectively avoided.

    Everything must be emotionally intense, and those who don't experience it that way tend to become shallow and "flippant" in our minds because they aren't as "deep" as we are. But is that true? Are we really that much better off than they are? Are we stabler in the end? Or are those thoughts merely a vain attempt to make ourselves feel stronger?

    What good does it really do us to remain bitter? It took me years to accept that /maybe/ I would be better off if I could learn to open up and move on. We should all be careful not to believe our extremes should be made the golden mean. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_mean_(philosophy) ]

    Thank you for offering your two cents, it's certainly better than silence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for are we better off than shallow, flippant people because they are not as deep? No, I would deffinitely NOT say we (as in me, and whatever group I fall under :)) are NOT better off than the shallow. I have often found myself wishing to be but a kiddie pool of depth in emotions to relieve myself from such exhausting, relentless paint swirls of emotions. If I could draw a piture of what goes inside of my head and heart, I'm afraid most people would get dizzy.... although, I do believe they would like the colors I chose. What I am saying I guess, is that I truly believe that people have a natural bent towards one or the other... I think you agreed with that. And, I really don't see a reason to change neccessarily, as much as I see a need to understand and learn to appreciate eachothers differences, and learn to understand that the view I don't like really does bring something to the table. (I wouldn't admit this in public. :) So... I am not better, in fact, I think it is neither better nor worse to feel more. The beauty that I am able to create out of the torture and torment and the excrutiating love and want for others is what makes me so different and beautiful in my own way. People are usually captivated by me or confused (lol) but that's ok. It comes with the creative territory.

    And, no, bitterness is never a good thing. I was just making mention that for me, believe it or not, feeling bitterness feels less threatening and scary than letting my heart understand that some people won't need me equally as I them (...those plums...) and it hurts so it's easier to dislike them and thier style. I'm not saying I love bitterness... just that resting in that feels better than the fear of the unknown in learning how to move past it.

    You are incredibly wise, intellegent and helpful... your age doesn't even have any relevance. You should seriously consider teaching, counseling, writing or... well, anything I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't condone the idea of changing who you are- we do have natural tendencies and there's nothing wrong about that. What I meant to say was that we can gain a much greater understanding of the way our relationships work and spare ourselves a lot of unnecessary pain if we can pull strengths from either side instead of insisting on either extreme.

    At least as far as I'm concerned, it felt as if to adopt anything from the dreaded "other way" of seeing things would be completely betraying who I am- as if I would lose what made me "so different and beautiful in my own way" if I was willing to. So I ended up latching on to everything that was KEEPING my personality from shooting out in its most vibrant colors. Flyaway emotions aren't necessarily the most crucial part of our personalities.

    And this would be where I ask why threatening, scary, true, good things are worse than bitter safety. There's no reason to doubt that bitterness does indeed feel much safer, but whether or not "safe" is something worth pursuing- that's the real question.

    Well good news! I already write and teach. : ) And I am considering anything, too, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "And this would be where I ask why threatening, scary, true, good things are worse than bitter safety. There's no reason to doubt that bitterness does indeed feel much safer, but whether or not "safe" is something worth pursuing- that's the real question."

    Lol. Yes, I understand. It is true... saftey is not neccessarily something worth persuing in the long-term. But I believe it to be okay, and even better for someone who is recovering from traumas involving trust and misunderstanding concerning people that have confused them. Sometimes it's better to just stop, withdraw, take a breather and analyze things... even if it leads to bitterness for awhile. Not that bitterness is the best option or only option. It's more of a natural outflow for most people when they don't quite understand painful things. Avoiding and isolating I believe to a a possitive thing, SOMETIMES, but deffinitely not as a general rule. :) For me, that time period of introspection, contemplating, praying and decompressing is crucial. I suppose I don't completely isolate... I usually consult a mentor or couselor type or an old friend while deliberating and trying to figure out intense things. And that, is my two and a half cents. :)

    On a side note, you say you already write an teach. Are you referring to blogging, or do you have something published? You teach what? (Obviously through your blogs, :), but how else?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would persist in saying that recovery doesn't need to lead to bitterness. Bitterness opposes recovery. If that's what recovery looks like, it's like curing pneumonia with morphine. The reason we would consult other people (you mention good friends, mentors, counselors...) is so that we can get over ourselves more quickly and get back into relationship with people.

    I teach kids music on and off (guitar, piano, voice... I could teach violin to little ones if I wanted, too...). I write some stuff I don't put on the blog, but mostly I write for school- I'm a student. Come to think of it, it seems stupid to say essays count (everyone writes essays), but it's the way in which one does it. I do Math and Science at school too, but wouldn't call myself a mathematician or scientist. I write for for the sake of writing, not just for the grade, just like I sing for the sake of music, and not just for the grade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I admit it. You officially win this discussion. (I wouldn't readily admit that in public.) Although bitterness isn't a good thing, I still have a secret mild enjoyment of it... particularly in chocolate. And, I never thought of consulting my sounding boards as an indicator that I desire to recconnect with others faster. That does make sense.

    You are a writer, girl, a true one. I was just curious if you wrote in a paid format, or even in a competitive one. Perhaps someday if the opportunity crosses your path.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha, Is it possible to win a discussion...?

    (oh, and I'll share a secret: I like bitterness in chocolate, too.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts