Pocahontianism

Apparently, I have always been a relatively quizzical thinker. My mother sometimes recalls instances when I, as a small child, would pensively inquire on a topic such as suicide or the nature of the spiritual realm, often catching her slightly off-guard. I don't remember as much about those early times as I'd like to, but I know enough to nerdily study what used to be my worldview. It's easy to laugh off one's childhood beliefs as inconsequential and irrelevant; perhaps even more so in my case, having undergone a radical shift in worldview as a young adolescent. But retrospectively, the beliefs I held even as a child are surprisingly prevalent in the world, the adult world. There are names and people behind the ideas I used to assume were Truth, and having learned about them... Well, I'll get to that later. I'll interject with a bit of foundational history about myself.

I grew up in a relatively average family concerning religion: my parents were both from Presbyterian-esque backgrounds, though they attended non-denominational churches upon moving to the States a couple months after my birth. So I grew up exposed to the typical Contemporary Christianity Sunday school environment, learning the Bible stories in sing-song rhyme and coloring pictures of Pharaoh and Paul and Jesus. Anyone that has been in my presence for longer that a few minutes will verify that I have been a long-time skeptic of the Church and organized religion despite my passion for legitimate, visible, genuine, unadulterated Christianity... perhaps the reason will be more evident towards the end of this little ramble.

One of my earliest memories is from the 3- to 4-year-olds' class at Chandler Christian Church in Arizona. I remember the teacher, a kind, brown-haired woman, asking the little class, "Who here believes in Jesus?" Naturally, there was quite a large number of yeses... It was at that moment that it occurred to me that everyone in that whole big building was Christian. All the big people in the big service, the big kids that go to school, from short to tall and young to old, everyone in that big building was on God's side. I sat thinking for a minute, that it really didn't make much sense that everyone there hated the Devil if we were always being told to be such good friends. So I decided to befriend the Devil that day. After all, no story is complete without both Good and Evil fairly represented. Now, obviously I was somewhat confused about what it meant to hate the Devil, and I don't mean that this was hypocritical in any way, but I've come to remember it as the day I first discovered religious hypocrisy.

In kindergarten or first grade, we learned about dinosaurs. Every kid loves dinosaurs, but I was particularly intrigued by the part about their extinction and spent several weeks trying to figure out how it fit in to the rest of the things I knew about that happened before I was born. Well, I knew that there was a vast underwater kingdom called Atlantis. And I knew that the earth minus Noah drowned in an enormous flood that all dried up after some 150 days... And then, one day, it all clicked. Before the flood, dinosaurs and Atlantians and Noah's people ruled the earth. Then a giant meteor came from space, crashing down into the earth, landing on top of Atlantis and creating the hole in North America we now call the Gulf of Mexico. Voilà. The world made sense.

I was also a pretty hardcore believer in fairies, particularly the Tooth Fairy, and pixies and dwarfs and Santa (until March of my 3rd grade year- my mom broke it to me that he wasn't real completely out of the blue and I was absolutely shocked). It was my life goal as an 8-year-old to scientifically prove to the world that fairies existed. I wrote a long letter explaining to the Tooth Fairy how to use my camera, and when she couldn't do it, I had her draw a picture of herself. (She was a very good draw-er.) She was 3 1/2 toadstools tall, and went barefoot- I gave her some doll shoes. She made me a silk pouch with "pearls" on it. It went on this way until I was 9, at which point I'd lost all my teeth and got my little brother to promise to continue my legacy, gathering information for me.

Other than for the sake of telling a few of my (admittedly more common) early-childhood stories, this just serves to demonstrate the type of kid I was- the kid I am, I suppose. In many ways, what I am now is simply a rebirth of the way I was before I turned 8 or so. In other ways... well, obviously, I'm 10 years older, I'm a pretty strikingly different person.

In World Religions class just the other day, we were being lectured about Animism: "belief that everything in nature has a soul or spirit, and, therefore, all of existence involves the widespread presence of various spirit beings." As the lesson went on, I began to realize exactly how much what I believed before I 'became a Christian' was like Animism. My teacher jokingly called it Pocahontiansim at one point, and had us analyze the lyrics in Colors of the Wind. (What teenager doesn't relate to Disney movies?) By this point, I was thoroughly amused- since I suppose Pocahontas could actually, legitimately have had an impact on my worldview.

I had no friends in first grade. In the summer before that year, my best friend had moved to Arkansas. So, I was alone. I suppose it's not that no one liked me or wanted to play with me, I wasn't bullied or anything. They weren't horrible people. I just didn't have any friends. They all played such stupid games- horsey-horsey and house and cats were common- where they'd change roles every couple minutes and there were no stories behind their games at all (which frustrated me). No one listened to me when I'd suggest a different game, no one really cared about me: anyone can be your friend in first grade, but only if you can find something to play. (I suppose this counts for big people too. But that's for a different post.) So I sat in the corner of the playground, over the hill, where no one else could see me, crying and singing songs and talking to the spirits all around me, to the Colors of the Wind. It's ironic that he picked that very song: I remember singing with my eyes closed, standing in the middle of the field with my arms stretched out and feeling the 'spirits' sweep around me in the wind. (Describing it now, I realize that I must have looked pretty ridiculous, but I thought I was so deep.) They kept me company. Whether through the music or through the wind, it didn't matter. I didn't really have anyone else.

I kept a relatively similar view of life and nature and such the rest of my elementary years. We moved to Issaquah, Washington my 2nd grade year, so I had a surplus of nature to connect with. I would often sit in my tree, my amazing climbing tree about 30 feet away from my window, and talk to it, to the wind, to the clouds- rather, to the spirits in them. I knew I didn't understand everything that was going on, but even as I entered Middle School, I believed that there was some type of spirit that could be found in everything, some tangible force that could communicate with and comfort you. By the time I was about 11, I had grown up enough that I had realized there were no real "fairies," per say, but I believed that these "fairies" I used to believe in were just a Human creature endowed with a piece of the Natural Spirit. They were ordinary people that lived among us that had special qualities, sublime understanding, some extra power over nature. Sure, I suppose I would have called myself Christian. I believed in God. I colored all the pictures. Went to church every week. Went to the summer camps, prayed with my mother before I went to bed. I just didn't know him or care much about him.

So I found it funny that my World Religions teacher called this belief Pocahontianism. I never really thought there was a name for whatever I was before I 'became a Christian,' I just thought it'd be termed "lukewarm" or perhaps superstitious. But nope, people actually believe this, Marie, it's the oldest of all religions.........

So many people call themselves Christians. I kind of have to wonder exactly how many are actually Pocahontians.

Comments

  1. Ahahaha you remind me somewhat of what I was like as a little kid...asking random deep questions. I remember once I had a long conversation with my mother about suicide bombing and the situation in the Middle East and how desperate you had to be to attempt something like that (later, the suicide bombing = desperate idea became something in a debate case).
    And there was more that I DIDN'T ask her, but just wondered about (which is a lot of what comes from reading way above your age level....this won't happen to my brothers because most books they read, I've read and I know that the content is above their level...even if they're CAPABLE of reading it).

    Do you realize that you and your skepticism are the main reason I currently hate my religion class?

    I love hearing little kids with fairies and Santa and stuff. When I was in about fourth grade, I'd bring home little treats (my mom always packed me a treat; I just didn't eat them sometimes) for Rafa that I said were from the "fairies" who were in the playground at school. Now, he does this for Marcelo.

    I pretty much didn't have friends from third grade through sixth grade (which was partly my fault; somehow, at the beginning of 7th I decided I wasn't the new girl anymore and I needed to stop be a little less shy....), so I'd just sit and read (and oh, I had such adventures in my head with the characters from my books).

    See, you were different from me in the sense that I was always Christian - like genuinely Christian....probably because I kind of had to believe in SOMEthing due to my life experiences (I can't imagine going through what I did if I didn't believe in SOME "higher power") and this is what was available. And I prayed (I hated praying in front of my mother....I thought it was "fake"; also, I thought saying "amen" at the end of a prayer was ridiculous, because it was like "closing" your contact with God and why would you do that?) by myself, and very definitely believed in every basic "Christian" doctrine.
    But I NEVER made a connection between my belief in God and going to church, as a child. Church was boring and it was just for reading the songbooks (I lived for the songs at church; otherwise, I hated it). Ironically enough (especially considering my current attitudes toward this particular church.....ask me about that if you want it explained, but it could become a very very very long rant, so be warned), the first time I really clicked that everything said and done at church is (in essence....it can reallllly easily be turned hypocritical, but the idea is there) Christian was at my confirmation mass in 8th grade.

    This turned into a very long and rambling comment (and I was only going to take a five minute break.......). Haha. Sorry. (I still want to start a blog; but am not sure if my parents would let me....my mother was very against the idea the last time I asked.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I accidentally posted it before I had finished. :P)

    I don't know whether to apologize or give a hearty "you're welcome" in response to the comment about me being the reason you hate your religion class.

    Well, like I've said, there's a point where belief in imaginary creatures can become excessive and dangerous... It had a pretty dangerous affect on my worldview, anyways. I'll write a blog elaborating on that, soon.

    Haha, I find it curious that you never connected God to church. And think it's really cool that you've always known him... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....I should be in bed. I am waking up at 5:40.....again....how do parents survive this? Whatever. I can't sleep.

    Oh it's definitely a good thing. (For multiple reasons: one being if I hate religion, I can get other homework done; I sit in the back and he can't see me. Guess where I'm doing Spanish homework tomorrow? ) Probably in part thanks to you and in part thanks to 8th grade. The irony being that I hate fitting stereotypes and stuff; I believe you know my not-a-statistic thing...and yet, I fit into the Catholic-elementary-school-girl-becomes-a-rebel thing. I'm better than most; it's not like I'm out smoking or getting myself pregnant, and I'm obviously still Christian. But as far as what people at church would say? A little rebel brat who probably doesn't deserve the confirmation thingy-thingy...English fails....*document* she has (I don't regret it; I have a reason not to, though). And my religion teacher talked about this (if you don't agree with every little Catholic church doctrine, you're not Christian...................if he had said that to MY face individually instead of in class............).
    And I tend to question *every*thing the priests or speakers say (Fr. Warwick tends to be pretty good....he criticizes the church, actually, which I find pretty amazing; the others end up just saying cliché things that we've all heard a million times before......)

    Yes. (Although it's not happening in Rafael's or Marcelo's case...they're just little kids who still believe in magic, and in some ways, they're lucky to be that innocent.) Or like when a little fourth grader whose only friends are her storybooks convinces herself that good friends who actually love you only happen in stories. (I believed this 100% for about three years.)
    You stop writing blogs for a while hahahaha, because I'm still trying to catch up on commenting on them.

    Welllll....church was boring as a little kid. Whole lot of mumbling and random words. (I remember that was how a Hindu friend at SF, Shriya, described the first time she was at a St. Francis mass to me.) And my mother would always say "when you're tired or bored, just remember that Jesus died on the cross for you; surely you can stand up for ten minutes and listen to mass for Him". Which never made sense to me (I get her concept, at least now....I don't particularly like it). The music was pretty (I still love a lot of church music, and I tend to attach a lot of meaning to it....I'm soloing on Sunday, actually *kind of scared*).
    Like I said, it was probably like.....I had to. Had to hold on to *some*thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm certainly not convinced that it's a good thing that you are doing homework when you should be paying attention in class...

    How does he defend the point that only Catholics are Christian?

    You won't know if it's hurting them. I didn't even consider the fact that it might have impacted me until this year. In fact, until I wrote this very blog.

    o_O You guys *stand* for the entire mass? What a dumb idea...???

    ReplyDelete
  6. But he's not talking at the time (he spends more than half the class sitting at his desk expecting us to entertain ourselves....Shravya and I once had a mini-debate. She's in policy and she decided to convince me that NOT slapping everyone with a little piece of wire she found would lead to nuclear war. It was quite entertaining.)

    Catholics were here first, and thus are the "original Christians", thus everyone else "diverged" from the "Christian" belief and are not Christians.

    What might hurt them is the "reality shock" they'll get at St. Simon's soon enough. (It took Rafael a month or two after arriving to learn every swear word in the book....)

    No. We stand up for um......opening song/prayers (so probably about five minutes there)......gospel reading (3 minutes maybe)....bunch of the communion bit (10 minutes?) and the....it has a proper name but I forget....closing song (so another 2 minutes or so). Long enough for a little kid, especially when it's boring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't bring myself to say it's good to ignore class. Seems hypocritical for me to say *that* though. hmmm...

    UMM. First of all, the first Christians were not Catholic. Catholicism is defined by Catholic doctrine, and any doctrine that is not in the Bible is not the first thing there was. If he believes the first thing is the best, anyways, why isn't he a Jew? Christianity diverged from Judaism and *it's* the Truth.

    Reality shocks suck.

    Religion. XP

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahaha but if class isn't going ON, I'm not ignoring it.

    Look, I don't agree with him. Clearly. I think he's kind of ridiculous. Also, he's always telling US what we SHOULD believe (instead of the usual SFHS-religion-teacher-standard of "Catholics believe that..." or "The Catholic church position is..." or something along those lines). You asked how HE defends HIS point. I couldn't defend that point if I WANTED to.

    Agreed. With both your final statements.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The initiative of this argument was that you hate religion class. When you say you sit in the back so "he can't see you," it is implied that you are hiding something/there is something he shouldn't be seeing, for your benefit. So either you are doing homework in class because you don't care about religion anymore, in which case the action is not right, or you are doing homework when class is not going on, which is obviously fine.

    Come on, be a debater. What would he say to those attacks? I thought you could defend him. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I particularly appreciate sitting in the back so "he can't see me" so I can doodle or otherwise pay just enough attention to take notes (and not pay attention when he goes off on a rant about leprechauns....this has happened too; I actually pay the MOST attention when he says something I disagree with, because then I want to argue with it, or at least know how I would argue with it).

    Fineeee. (Why would I WANT to defend someone I don't agree with?) He'd say something along the lines of how there's NO church that exists just like the original Christian church "based on the reality of our world today" and the Catholic church is the first church that existed in the past and still exists today. (All the other ones broke off of Catholicism.) So they were first and you have to go back to his original point.
    Also, pretty much EVERY Catholic doctrine in existence has some (perhaps obscure) source in the Bible. This guy's a Bible scholar; he could pull a response out (assuming you attacked a specific doctrine). Or he'd explain said doctrine and say something about how it has roots in the Bible because of its explanation.
    Why isn't he a Jew? Because he believes that Jesus Christ is the Messiah? He's speaking within the realm of Christianity.
    Oh, yeah, and he once told us that Christianity keeps all the Jewish traditions that are still "necessary" after the coming of Jesus.

    ....That's how I write my religion papers, actually. (Although I tend to use a LOT of overly flowery, church-y rhetoric as well...you're too smart for me to use that on you, and I wouldn't particularly want to anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patrice, why on EARTH are you a debater if you don't like arguing things you disagree with?

    ...But the idea would be to be most like the early churches as possible, and the Catholic church is not that. And even the early church had a lot of things wrong with it.

    But his principles are contrary to Christianity as far as I'm concerned.

    I would agree with him on the point that Christianity keeps only the necessary elements of Judaism after the coming of the Messiah.

    Church jargon makes me want to puke.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm fine with arguing things I disagree with because I like arguing. But this is a bit more of a disagreement than whether Obama should put troops into Afghanistan or whether compulsory immunization is justifiable (I am SO not a communist. hmph).
    And also, I don't particularly like the arguments *for* his point and I think, generally (unlike in debate), religious arguments tend to be filled with a whole lot of rhetoric and not a lot of logical points (not in this case, but....) It's kind of a hard point to defend, too, in case you haven't noticed.

    No, the idea would be to stay with the closest, in time, to the original church. At least, that's the idea he has.
    (Every church has a lot of things wrong with it.)

    I'll repeat what I said. I didn't say cite something that works with Christianity. I said something that works with the Bible (which is interesting/odd, because the "official church position" to the Bible is not to take it 100% literally....as in, not believing that the Earth was actually created in 7 days, for example)....or church Tradition (yes, it has a capital "T"......that annoys me), which derived from the Bible or the church's "understanding of God".

    It's a very good way to write religion essays *fast* (and get a good grade from a teacher who loves church jargon). I don't re-read those essays for a reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts